Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Karate Kid, Then & Now

Two weeks ago Joel and I watched The Karate Kid (1984). This weekend we watched the new version.

Top, 1984. Bottom, 2010.




Even watching the trailers you get a sense for how different these two films are from a pacing perspective. There were times during the 1984 version that I had to stifle yawns. Contrast that with the 2010 version when I had to use the restroom but didn't want to leave for fear I'd miss a scene.

It's fascinating to me how movie-going has changed. Slowing down isn't an option anymore. Modern audiences demand more speed, more explosion, more action.

In the twenty-six years between the films, movies have changed, America has changed. I'll leave the scary blanket statements to Patrick. But go see the film. Before you do, watch the 1984 version. Notice your patience levels from one film to the other. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic exercise. Another good one is to compare the opening of TV shows from then and now.

    ReplyDelete